Richie heads up the firm’s corporate department and is a partner in our capital markets group.
Richie advises companies and financial institutions on a broad range of corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, listings, financings, public takeovers and increasingly on activist investor and corporate governance issues. He advises clients in a variety of industry sectors including technology, natural resources, clean tech and financial services and has particular expertise in understanding the issues facing international companies entering the UK market to seek funding or make acquisitions.
Representative transactions include:
- Edge Resources Inc - acted for this TSXV Canadian oil & gas exploration and production company on its dual listing on AIM
Trap Oil Group plc – acted for FirstEnergy Capital and Mirabaud Securities on the £4.3 million placing for this AIM-listed independent North Sea oil and gas company
Fluormin plc – acted for Westhouse Securities Limited in connection with the admission to AIM of this fluorspar production and exploration company with operations in South Africa and Tunisia
Water Hall Group plc - acted for this AIM-listed company on the sale of Water Hall (England) Limited, which was a fundamental disposal pursuant to the AIM Rules, and adoption of new investing policy
- London Capital Group Holdings plc – acted for nominated adviser and broker Cenkos Securities plc on the £8 million secondary placing for this AIM-listed online spread betting, foreign exchange and derivatives trading company
- Constellation Software Inc - acted for this Toronto Stock Exchange listed technology company on its unsolicited £18 million mandatory cash offer for AIM-listed Gladstone plc
- Just Retirement plc – acted for management of AIM-listed Just Retirement plc on its £220m takeover by way of a scheme of arrangement by Avalon Acquisitions Limited, an acquisition vehicle backed by private equity giant Permira
- Northleaf Capital Partners – acted for TD Capital Private Equity Investors on the spin-out of its global private equity investment firm to create Northleaf Capital, Canada’s largest independent global private equity fund manager and advisor managing over $2.8 billion in private equity fund commitments on behalf of institutional investors, including TD Capital.
- San Leon Energy plc - acted for nominated adviser (Daniel Stewart and Company) on the AIM admission of this Irish oil & gas exploration company with assets in the Europe, Africa and North America, which had a market capitalisation of over £100 million on admission to AIM
- Coastal Energy Limited – acted for broker on $16 million secondary fundraising for this AIM and TSX-listed oil & gas producer with assets in Thailand
- Renewable Power & Light plc - AIM admission and £40 million placing, as well as a subsequent £10 million placing, fundamental disposal of two dual-fuelled power plants in the Northeastern United States, and two reductions and returns of capital to shareholders
- Cardinal Resources plc - admission to AIM and $20 million placing; $20 million acquisition of Rudis Drilling Company; $50 million PIK Note financing with a US hedge fund; strategic investment and management agreement with Colombian-focussed Condor Exploration and $35 loan facility; $71 million sale of its Ukrainian assets to the Kuwait Energy Company
As well as being a director of the Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce, Richie writes for numerous international business publications, has spoken at professional conferences and has been quoted in the press on topics related to UK public markets and corporate governance issues. Richie is also a member of the International Bar Association and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Prior to joining Fox Williams, Richie was a partner at McCarthy Tétrault which he joined in 2001, after spending several years at Ashurst.
Richie received a first class B.A. with distinction from Mount Allison University in 1991 and an M.A. from Carleton University in 1992. He received his LLB from Dalhousie University in 1995 and was called to the bar in Alberta in 1996. Richie moved to the UK in 1997 and was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1998.
Fox Williams acts for ISDX-listed Cap Energy on Oil & Gas Acquisition
Fox Williams advises Constellation Software on its acquisition of Club Solutions from Fiserv
SEMINAR: Dual Listed Companies: Key issues on transactions and fundraisings involving AIM and TSX and/or ASX
Registration now open for the FW dual listing seminar
Fox Williams advises AIM and TSXV-listed Edge Resources on its $5 million UK placing
Fox Williams advises Jonas Software on its acquisition of London & Zurich plc
Fox Williams LLP advises AIM-listed Water Hall Group plc on Placing and Open Offer
Fox Williams advises Jonas Software on its acquisition of Tucasi Limited
FW advises Constellation Homebuilder Systems on its acquisition of Ibcos Holdings Limited
FW acts for TSXV-listed Edge Resources Inc on its dual-listing on AIM
FW advises FirstEnergy and Mirabaud on £4.3 million Trap Oil placing
FW advises AIM-listed Water Hall Group plc on its Fundamental Disposal and adoption of new Investing Policy
The Impact so far of the takeover code
Takeover Code changes may impact how Canadian bidders acquire UK companies
FW acts for Jonas Software on acquisition of AMI Education Solutions from RM plc
FW acts for Asian Development Bank on three loans to Armenian Banks
FW advises UrAmerica Limited on its US $10 million investment by Cameco
FW advises Westhouse Securities on the AIM listing of Fluormin Plc
Fox Williams advises Jonas Software on its acquisition of Fitronics Limited (The Retention People)
Takeover Panel’s review encouraging for London-listed energy companies but still work to be done
FW acts for Senetas Corp Ltd on acquisition of Focus Europe Ltd
FW is advising TSX-listed Constellation Software Inc on acquisition of Bond Intl Software plc
The Takeover Panel's review is designed to level the playing field for London-listed mining companies
The Takeover Panel's review; encouraging for AIM Companies but still work to be done
FW advises Trapeze Group on its acquisition of Kizoom Software Limited
Oil & Gas Sector: Canadian Regulatory Landscape
Fox Williams wins Corporate Intl Magazines Capital Markets Team of the Year 2010
FW advises Trapeze Group on its acquisition of Auriga Communication Systems Ltd
Inside Cash Shells: Richie Clark is quoted in Growth Business
Richie Clark quoted in The Lawyer magazine on AIM recovery process
London Stock Exchange updates AIM Rules
How to prepare for a London IPO in 2010
Negotiating Loan Agreements Post Credit Crunch
Dealing with Disputes in Difficult Times
Getting your IPO right: The do's and don'ts of flotation and raising funds.
What does the future hold for AIM? Evolution or Extinction?