On Friday 26th February, the Fox Williams International Arbitration group hosted a virtual panel debate.
We had an exceptionally distinguished panel:
- Professor Denis Mouralis, Aix-Marseille University
- Marion Smith QC, 39 Essex Chambers
- Sir Nigel Teare, arbitrator at 10 Fleet Street
- Robert-Jan Temmink QC, Quadrant Chambers
The panel, chaired by Peter Ashford of Fox Williams, debated two hot topics in international arbitration:
- whether there is a right to an in-person hearing rather than a virtual one; and
- whether there is a power to consolidate/join parties to an arbitration, and, if so, the factors in the exercise of that discretion.
The debate marked the opening of the 6th Fox Williams Virtual Pre-Moot in preparation for the 27th Vis Moot in Vienna. The Pre-Moot took place over the weekend of 27 – 28 February 2021. This year Fox Williams again ran their Pre-Moot in association with the CIArb and the Pre-Moot.
The debate topics were procedural issues that arose in this year’s moot problem.
Please click here to view the recording